The Governing Body (Bishop Vesey’s Grammar School) is committed to ensuring that the necessary provision is made for every pupil that has special educational needs.
A child is defined as having Special Educational Needs if he or she has a learning difficulty, which needs additional help other than that given in a normal classroom context or requires a the teacher / school to make specific alterations to their teaching and/or the learning environment (special teaching). A leaning difficulty means that the child has significantly greater difficulty in learning than most children of the same age. Or, it may mean that a child has a disability, which needs different educational facilities from those generally provided by schools for children of the same age in same area.
The overall aim of this policy is to improve the outcome for every child with a Special Educational Need in all the areas outlined in Every Child Matters under the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice. This will be achieved through achieving the following (specific) outcomes:
* Making Special Educational Needs provision an integral part of our School Improvement Plan
* Enable identified pupils with Special Educational Needs to reach their full potential.
* Enable successful transition of Special Educational Needs pupils beyond their life in the school.
* Reduce barriers to achievement and offer a variety of alternative curricula in Key Stages 3, 4 and 5 to meet the needs of the individual.
* Each Pupil to have an individual learning programme when appropriate. This could be in the form of an Individual Education Plan/Individual Behaviour Plan or a set of targets / points for teachers to follow.
* Arrange specialized provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs in year groups to meet the needs of groups with low-level achievement
* Enable all Special Educational Needs students to join in the activities of the school together with pupils who do not have Special Educational Needs, as far as is reasonably practical.
* Ensure that appropriate staffing and funding is in place for pupils with Special Educational Needs.
* A register of the School’s Gifted and Talented Pupils that is maintained and fed into a national register.
* Ensure that all governors, particularly the Special Educational Needs governor, are up to date and knowledgeable about the School’s Special Educational Needs provision and the Every Child Matters agenda.
* Full Governing Body involvement in the future development and monitoring of this policy.
* Developing a complementary and consistent Disability Equality scheme that reflects the legal duty of the Governing Body to promote equality of opportunity between disabled people and other people.
The school will build an inclusive ethos that is underpinned by the five stated outcomes of the Every Child Matters (ECM) agenda:
* Stay safe;
* Be healthy;
* Enjoy and achieve;
* Achieve economic well-being;
* Make a positive contribution.
If you wish to see this policy in full please contact the school